Thursday 6 September 2007

Still Life, Stage 1

Still Life 1
Just occasionally I paint, and just occasionally people visit this blog looking for evidence of that, not for theological controversy. So as I'm on holiday, and painting, I thought I'd post the evolution of a picture I'm working on. Here is stage 1.

Having no one around to sit for me, I thought I'd fall back on that old standby, the 'still life'. As to the subject, many of the Flemish paintings that take your breath away have grapes, and glass has got to be the 'thousand piece jigsaw' challenge for the still-life painter, so I thought I'd give it a go.

This is the picture after I've done the initial drawing, very quickly, in burnt umber thinned with turpentine (great smell!), and worked a bit on the basic colours and tones. I've also done some detail on the grapes.

So far it's going OK. Below is a photo of the same scene for comparison, but bear in mind I'm not copying from the photo, and since I've used a mobile phone for all the pictures, my eye (not being a wide-angle lens) doesn't see exactly what the camera sees.

Still Life Photo

The canvas is about 12" high, and I'm working in oils. At this stage, it's taken about an hour and a half.

This has now gone to stages 2, 3 and 4.

No comments will be posted without a full name and location, see the policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment