Thursday 6 September 2007

Still Life, Stage 3




Worked for about five hours on the still life today. First off was to try to get the 'wine' (pomegranate juice) right, then the perspective of the glass rim, which also meant filling in the rest of the background. Finally, before a tea break, I've been working on the 'table cloth', the shading under the grapes and the stem of the glass.

The cloth is very challenging - much more difficult than you might think. The problem with painting cloth is that you wind up with a rather articificial looking field of darks and lights, which don't really convey folds or ridges. I don't think it's quite there yet, but it isn't bad.

I'm not really going for 'photo realism', but I do want people looking at the picture to think of the materials - glass, liquid, cloth, etc - and what I'm doing is the only way I know how to do it!

No comments will be posted without a full name and location, see the policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment