Saturday 1 September 2012

Almost the original Cash Card

In the late 1970s, banks began introducing 'Cash Cards'. Here is my original National Westminster version. However, they were strictly for emergencies only. You put the card in a hole in the wall and it dispensed exactly £10. But it kept the card, which was then mailed back to you in the wallet, as shown - stamped and signed!! Notice also the computer 'punch card' holes.

I wonder if there's a memorabilia site might be interested in this?


Please give a full name and location when posting. Comments without this information may be deleted. Recommend:

1 comment:

  1. Revd John

    I think this is a really important piece of social history - perhaps it is something the Science Museum or the like may be interested in or at least point you in the direction of somewhere that might be interested in it.

    A few weeks ago, I had to do a computer course to use the NHS database used in the palliative team I’m working in at present and while chatting to the course leader, I mentioned that when I did my computer studies O level in 1980, I had to send in my course work on white punch tape. I don’t think the course co-ordinator knew what I meant!

    For the 60th anniversary of VE day, my Dad, in conjunction with a local primary school, arranged for several of the old people who live at the sheltered housing scheme where my parents live, to meet with various classes from the school. My Dad even reproduced ration books via his computer (yes, people who are 80+ can use computers!) and got the local post office to stamp them, to make them look official. He presumed the children would be interested in the Blitz, rationing, gas masks, evacuation etc. and general working class life in 1930s and 40s Lancashire. After the event, my Dad spoke with several of the teachers about what the children had found most interesting – was it the Blitz? Or rationing?... No, what caught the children’s imagination the most, was the fact people didn’t have indoor toilets and used newspaper instead of toilet roll! Which is a salient tale to illustrate that what we consider important events in the past we pass on are not necessarily what generations to come will find interesting!

    P.D.

    ReplyDelete